If you are over worked, over whelmed, stressed out, run down or anxious and don’t know what to do about it then you are not the first to feel like this.
The first place most people look for support is Google, do a search and most of the sites you find are resource organizations offering such un-useful common sense tips such as take a break, have a holiday or talk to your manager. Or you might if you dig a few pages deeper find a site offering “7 tips to de-stress your life” or “5 powerful ways to handle stress.”
I’ve been there myself when I was stressed out and over whelmed and the only help available didn’t seem to touch the sides, even a visit to the doctor wasn’t much help and the reason is because most of the common sense advice given treats the symptoms and not the root cause of stress.
Imagine someone who had a pain in their foot, they went on the Internet and found 6 ways to relieve foot pain, some worked momentarily and then the pain returned. Look a little closer and the person whenever they get stressed begins to twitch, every time they twitch their hand shakes and each time their hand shakes they fire off the gun in their hand and a bullet rips into their foot.
I’m sorry to have to point the finger at you here if you are stressed, but you are the person holding the gun and causing the self inflicted pain.
Stress is the emotional response to an external event and is caused by how we perceive the event, how we think about it and the chemical responses created by our thinking.
Taking a break, holiday or popping a pill may relieve the symptoms but if the cause (thinking) is not addressed the relief is short lived.
So where to start?
You begin with AWARENESS.
- Awareness that two people can be going through the same experience; one is stressed the other isn’t, therefore its not the external events causing stress it’s the individuals thinking.
- Awareness; that your thinking creates your emotions, (caused by synesthesia patterns in your brain which cascade throughout your neurology).
- Awareness that when you learn to change your perceptions and thinking, you change your emotions.
The really good news for anyone experiencing stress is that you have a lot more control over the way you feel than you know about and that’s great to know. I recall clearly the first time I became aware of this concept and how powerful an insight it was that I had the control all I needed to do was become more aware and stop shooting myself in the foot with my own thinking.
“In every area of life everyone is capable of seeing from a higher perspective than they do now. You are never stuck. You’re simply limited by the level you are seeing from. Limitation is always illusion. Just wait. Relax. Stay still. Wait until the wisdom talks to you, as it will.”
Additional information about Stress Management and Resilience Training are included on “The Wellbeing Formula @ Work” Next public seminar on 25th November 2017 visit Eventbrite for details and to book your place.
Connect with Steve on:
If you have any questions or would like to know how Steve can help you achieve more then you take one of the following steps:
- Contact Steve. Please click here to view his contact information.
- Follow this link to view full details of the coaching programmes run by SCC
- View & purchase a copy of “Business Coaching & Mentoring for Dummies” on Amazon
- Visit the SCC Media Hub where you can find more articles and videos that Steve has produced. Topics include; coaching, stress management and business training